Find answers to the most common questions about our Executive MBA Shanghai Program below. If you don't find what you're looking for, please call our office in Shanghai at +86 21 5566 4788.
How is performance graded?
The Olin Executive MBA program utilizes a four-level grading system as follows: high pass (HP), pass (P), low pass (LP), and no pass (NP).
Each class grade is a combination of individual and team effort on tests, presentations, and special project, the exact breakdown of which is at the discretion of the course professor. Some test grades are numeric.Is it okay to miss school occasionally?
To earn a degree in less than two years, you will cover a large amount of material in relatively short time. If you miss class, you will likely fall behind and find it difficult to catch up. We realize illness or important family commitments may arise that might necessitate an absence. When this occurs, you may request a DVD of the missed class. It’s also a good idea to review missed material with your study group.How many students are in a study group, and do groups change membership during the course of the program?
Each study group usually has seven to eight members from different industries, backgrounds, and regions. When you enter the program, you will be assigned to a group based on your background. During the mid-program residency, we will assemble new groups using input from the students themselves, so that you can practice building teams and building your network.What is the cost of the program?
The tuition for Class 12 is RMB 580,000, which covers all educational activities, lodging during the opening and closing residencies and all books and materials. Students are responsible for transportation to and from St. Louis for the concluding residency and the cost of accommodations in China or Asia during the mid-program residency, which will be at a location chosen by the students.When does the program start and how long does the program last?
The program begins with a pre-term orientation in late April and takes approximately 18 months to complete.How big is your program?
We have one intake per year of approximately 60 to 65 students. Presently we have more than 400 students and alumni of the program itself and 1,200 alumni and students in our EMBA program at the School of Management at Fudan University in Shanghai. The Olin Business School has more than 19,000 alumni worldwide.Who is in the program?
The average age of students in our classes is approximately 38 years old. Approximately 60 to 70 percent still carry PRC passport. The remaining students come from other parts of Asia, North America, and Europe. All our students are international executives, with approximately 90 percent working for multinational companies and the remaining 10 percent working for private Chinese companies of SOEs with significant international business. Our curriculum is designed for professionals making the transition from managers of functional areas to managers of a business or groups of businesses.Is it possible to fail out of the program?
Your tuition pays for the opportunity to join our program. It does not pay for a degree. What you get from the experience in the program depends critically on what you put into it – and if you are unable to put in the necessary time and effort to pass your courses, you will be asked to withdraw until you can do so.How do you maintain academic integrity?
We believe that professional integrity in the backbone of leadership, and we adopt policies that are consistent with international expectations for senior leaders. You will be given clear guidelines regarding what is allowed when completing your assignments, and you are expected to adhere to them. You are also expected to work with us to uphold these standards in your conduct with your classmates.What happens if an emergency arises and I can’t make a class or the U.S. trip?
In most cases, you will be able to complete the course or residency with the next Executive MBA class. In general, we leave it up to students to decide how best to spend your time. If you routinely cannot make class, we will ask you to withdraw from the program until you can make the time.Is a laptop computer required?
A laptop computer is required to make the most of the program. Wi-Fi for laptops and other portable devices is available in the public areas in the Starr Building at the Fudan University’s School of Management and on the first three floors and in the Alumni in the Knight Center at throughout campus at Washington University in St. Louis. Use of laptops during classroom instruction is prohibited unless the instructor requests that you use it as part of the class.