Corporate Finance and Investments
MBA students can pursue a career in finance through many paths. Finance professionals are needed in institutions and firms that participate in financial markets as providers of capital. They are also needed within the companies and businesses themselves that act as users of capital. Finance professionals are necessary to intermediate between the providers and users of capital. The Corporate Finance and Investments Platform has been designed to effectively steer an MBA student toward the following careers:
- Financial Manager in a Nonfinancial Firm
- Investment Banker – Corporate Finance
- Private Equity or Venture Capital Positions
- Investment Banker – Capital Markets and Trading
- Asset or Portfolio Manager
Olin suggests a finance curriculum that you might find useful if you plan a career in any one of the above finance career tracks. Some common foundation courses support all of the career tracks, followed by more focused course work specifically aimed to support such career development. You will see that within the set of foundation courses and each of the concentrations, we recommend several electives outside of finance as part of your career development. Please note finance electives may change, and the track recommendations may be amended.
Download PDF of Corporate Finance and Investments foundation courses and concentrations.
For the Corporate Finance and Investments Platform, Olin requires completion of the Foundation courses (14 credits) plus at least one concentration (12 credits).
- Finance Platform Director: Professor Todd Milbourn, Hubert C. and Dorothy R. Moog Professor of Finance
- WCC Career Advisor: Rick Michniok
- MBA Programs Liaison: Sarah Miller
- Club/Organization: Olin Finance Club
- Credit Requirements: 20 or 21.5 credits (9.5 foundation credits, 9 concentration credits, and at least one experiential learning component for an additional 1.5 or 3 credits)