Whichever of the seven PhD degrees you pursue, you will master analytical and critical-thinking skills enabling you to solve complex, unstructured business problems.
Research conducted by Olin faculty:
- Supports research employing state-of-the-art analytical and/or empirical methods to address substantive questions.
- Exposes PhD students to leading researchers from around the world at conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Provides PhD students, upon adviser recommendation, with funding for travel costs for conferences and academic meetings.
Olin emphasizes strong teaching skills – for our faculty and for our PhD students. As a part of Olin, you’ll be able to gain valuable insight into successful teaching methods and practices:
- Participate in presentation skills workshops, with emphasis on communication techniques and effective teaching methods.
- Gain classroom teaching experience through teaching assistantships (beginning in the second year of the program).
- Engage in opportunities to teach independently (as students with advanced standing are deemed ready).
Washington University’s Teaching Center offers a variety of resources to help students develop effective teaching skills, including:
- TA orientation, handbook and training workshops
- Online tutorials, including Teaching with Technology
- Guides for instructional strategies, classroom techniques and teaching methods
Liberman Graduate Center is a dedicated space for graduate and professional students from the eight schools at Washington University in St. Louis. Located on the third floor of the Danforth University Center, the Liberman Graduate Center features lounge, meeting and office spaces to foster student engagement across disciplines and the graduate community.