John M. Olin Distinguished Professor of Economics and Strategy
Area of Expertise:
Microeconomics/ Industrial Organization, Business/Corporate Strategy, Diversity, Human Resource Management/Industrial Relations, Management Strategy, Negotiation, Organizational Change and Development, Technology Management
Industry Evolution, Strategy and Value Appropriation, Microeconomics/Industrial Organization, Investor Protection, and Compensation.
View More Publications
- "How do value creation and competition determine whether a firm appropriates value?", Management Science, 1319-1333, with M. Ryall, 2004
- "Investor Protection, optimal incentives and economic growth", Quarterly Journal of Economics, with R. Castro, G. Clementi, 2004
- "The economics of has-beens", Journal of Political Economy, S289-S310, with M. Weisbach, 2004
- "Adverse Specialization", Journal of Political Economy, 864-899, with L. Marx, 2001
- "Competitive Diffusion", Journal of Political Economy, with B. Jovanovic, 1994
- "The life cycle of a competitive industry", Journal of Political Economy, 322-347, with B. Jovanovic, 1994
- Editor, Senior Editor, Journal of Labor Economics, 1992-2001; Associate Editor, 1982-1992
- Referee, Journal of Political Economy, Econometrica, American Economic Review, Review of Economic Studies, Journal of Economic Theory, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Business, Bell Journal of Economics, Rand Journal of Economics, National Science Foundation, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Journal of Macroeconomics, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
- Editor, Associate Editor, Review of Economic Dynamics, Journal of Montetary Economics, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Canadian Journal of Economics, Journal of Economic Education, Australian Economic Record, Economic Record, Economic Inquiry, Journal of Human Resources, Economica
- Editor, Editor of Special Issue, Journal of Accounting and Economics
Glenn MacDonald is married, with two children. He enjoys music and cooking. For fun he runs and plays guitar.
Prior to joining the Olin School, MacDonald was professor of economics and management at the W. E. Simon School of Business, University of Rochester, and professor of economics at the University of Western Ontario. He has worked with many companies, including Bausch & Lomb, Carrier, Chase Manhattan Bank, Corning, Eastman Kodak, Harris Corporation, General Motors, IBM, Litton Industries, Rochester Gas and Electric, Frontier Communications, Xerox and Xerox's PARC.
Glenn MacDonald's Home Page
Phone: (314) 935-7768
PhD 1979, University of Rochester
MA 1978, University of Rochester
BA 1975, York University